Displaying Another Computer Screen

All about CamTwist

Re: Displaying Another Computer Screen

Postby FDRLive » Mon May 14, 2012 8:51 am

For serving up a windows desktop, I use RealVNC. I would prefer Ultr@VNC for it's speed, but our use of powerpoint caused the VNC client in CamTwist to hang CamTwist.

For serving up a Mac desktop, VNC is built into the OS called remote desktop. You just need to allow vnc clients.

We use this feature regularly, so let me know if I can further help.
FDRLive

Postby FDRLive » Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Install RealVNC on the windows machine and read/skim through the Windows VNC Server documentation. You'll need to "Run the VNC Server" (probably in User-Mode, until you've got what you like) on the windows machine, which will put a RealVNC tray icon down by the clock. If you hover your mouse over this icon, it should tell you the IP address and Port of the windows machine. You'll have to set the password if you want one. If so, be sure to choose "VNC Password Authentication".

Before using CamTwist, download a copy of Chicken of the VNC and make sure you can connect to and view your windows machine with CotVNC. If you're successful with that, you'll have no problem using VNC within CamTwist.

BTW, here's a video of how we use vnc as a PIP for our on-screen graphics.
FDRLive

Postby SuperPC » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:06 am

FDRLive wrote:Install RealVNC on the windows machine and read/skim through the Windows VNC Server documentation. You'll need to "Run the VNC Server" (probably in User-Mode, until you've got what you like) on the windows machine, which will put a RealVNC tray icon down by the clock. If you hover your mouse over this icon, it should tell you the IP address and Port of the windows machine. You'll have to set the password if you want one. If so, be sure to choose "VNC Password Authentication".

Before using CamTwist, download a copy of Chicken of the VNC and make sure you can connect to and view your windows machine with CotVNC. If you're successful with that, you'll have no problem using VNC within CamTwist.

BTW, here's a video of how we use vnc as a PIP for our on-screen graphics.

VNC will work, just depends what you need. If you're trying to capture something like skype video from a second computer, then you'd need something other than VNC as at times VNC can be both low frame rate and choppy. Apple has a OK remote desktop solution that is somewhat better than VNC but you'd have to do that over an ethernet network and have to capture a window of the remote desktop connection. That's not guaranteed to even give full results though.

It would be awesome if there was something like Desktop Presenter (a feature in Wirecast for capturing network computers at good quality) for CamTwist, as there is definitely a good need for this (I know from reading the forums in the past, and from personal experience), but hopefully something similar is coming sometime in the future for CamTwist *fingers crossed*, haha
SuperPC

Return to CamTwist general chat